Lytron Purchases New Robodrill
October 1, 2009, Woburn, MA, USA: Lytron announced today that it has purchased a Fanuc Robodrill, a high speed vertical machining center. The Robodrill was purchased to further expand Lytron’s manufacturing capacity and improve efficiency in the factory. Robodrills are better at drilling and tapping cold plates than other state-of-the-art vertical machining centers. With 21 tools and spindle speeds of up to 24,000 RPM, the Robodrill can machine cold plates faster and with more precision than most other CNC machines.
“Since we manufacture prototypes as well as large production orders of custom vacuum brazed cold plates and plate fin heat exchangers, we need many robust vertical machining centers,” notes Kathleen Schoonmaker, Lytron’s vice president of operations. “This CNC purchase is just one of the many investments Lytron will make over the next five years in equipment, technology, people, and processes to continue to expand our capacity and improve operations.”
Lytron performs all critical design and manufacturing processes at its 115,000 ft2 (10,700 m2) facility. The ISO 9001:2000 facility, which is located 15 miles (24 km) north of Boston, houses Lytron’s engineering and corporate offices as well as its factory. Lytron’s critical manufacturing and testing equipment and skills include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Vertical and horizontal CNC machining centers
- Fin presses and EDM equipment for fin production
- Environmentally controlled vacuum brazing work center with multiple computer controlled furnaces and heat-treating facilities
- Torch brazing and TIG and MIG welding
- Multiple cooling system and chiller assembly lines for both custom and standard products
- Quality control (QC) lab including coordinate measuring machines (CMM), hardness testing, optical comparator, and photo-micrographic capabilities
- Engineering test laboratory, including wind tunnels, fluid flow test stations, multi-channel data acquisition systems to record and document compliance, 500,000 watts of electricity to power cooling and heating test stands, and more
Lytron's designs and manufactures cold plates, heat exchangers, assemblies, chillers, and cooling systems. The company primarily serves the medical, military, commercial air, laser, power electronics, analytical, data center, and semiconductor markets. Lytron specializes in custom thermal solutions for OEMs and sells directly from its U.S. headquarters as well as through its representatives and distributors around the world.
For more information, please call +1-781-933-7300.